Even though this blog is no longer being added to we still love to hear from you - you can now contact us through laurawright(dot)edu(at)gmail(dot)com


16 January 2010

Accepting the Criticism of Man

I am so excited about this new Bible Study endeavor. I thoroughly enjoyed Laura and Margaret's studies and look forward to the future entries.

For my first entry, I would like to share some thoughts regarding the journey God has taken me on as I have been learning to accept criticism from others when the Lord has called me to an unusual path. While my specific situation of being an "at-home-daughter" certainly does not apply to everyone, the principle of accepting criticism from those who disagree with our choices when relating to our walks with the Lord is relevant for all of us.

"To inoculate me from the praise of man, He baptised me in the criticism of man, until I died to control of man." Francis Frangipane

When I made the decision to live at home with my family in an effort to better prepare for my future as a wife and mother instead of pursuing a college degree or full-time career, I faced a lot of criticism. It was through this experience that I first learned that criticism is often a discouraging by-product when the Lord calls us to make choices that go against the grain of what is expected in our culture.

Sadly, it often appears that those closest to us seem to feel the most at liberty to voice their criticism regarding our choices. Rather than sulking in self-pity, we can find encouragement in scripture.

"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

When we are criticized for obeying what God has called us to do, we have the opportunity to experience the slightest glimpse of the persecution Christ went through while on earth. This should cause us to be all the more grateful for His sacrifice on our behalf.

"You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men." 1 Corinthians 7:23

If we allow others' thoughts about our decisions to unduly influence us and distract us from what God has called us to, we are becoming slaves of men. When others are critical of my decisions or unhappy with me, I must ask myself, "Is God happy with me?" If so, I need not heed others' opinions.

"But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong." 1 Corinthians 1:27

The Lord may be using this time where I have been subject to a lot of criticism to refine me and prepare me for much greater criticism as I continue to seek His will throughout my life. I am challenged to find my satisfaction and fulfillment not in man's approval, but in the assurance that I am within God's will for my life and that He is pleased with me.

May we all strive to seek His will above all else!


Rejoicing in His Faithfulness,

Meredith

3 comments:

  1. How true, Meredith! And so very encouraging to see such wisdom in a young person. By the way, this isn't praise from men but encouragement in the Lord :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Meredith. One of the key things from your post which spoke to me is the point that if we are doing what God has called us to do then we have no need to be concerned with the opinions of men. If we know we are obeying God then as you say - the most important thing is that God is happy with me. There is a place however for Christians to continue to examine themselves in light of criticism from those they trust to ensure that they are still in God's will. I have been guilty of getting a head full of steam and going forth to fulfill Gods will for my life MY way, and it took the guidance of others to show me my error. So we need to still look at the IF - if we are in Gods will and if we are doing what pleases Him, then yes, we have full assurance that it is His opinion alone which matters.

    Thank you for your contribution, God bless. Taliah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Meredith, for your words of wisdom..may God continue to bless you and hold you near. Your post has come to me at a time in my life when man has tried to shut me up by "gang stalking" me and this has been going on for sometimes but here recent when the Lord directed me to find out the term, of this covert organization a moment I was angry and than sad for the people who know not what they are doing and then PEACE...what a mighty God we serve. It is his will for us to be mindful and let him direct our paths, stay strong, it is well.
    May God continue to use you, Love, Camille.

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates